About Black Hops
Black Hops Brewing started as 3 mates making beer and sharing everything along the way. In 2014, Dan, Eddie and Govs made their first beer, the Eggnog Stout, after discussing the concept at the pub. That led them to opening up a brewery and taproom in Burleigh Heads in 2016 and in March 2019 they opened a bigger production brewery and taproom in Biggera Waters.
Black Hops was awarded Australia’s Champion Small Brewer at the 2018 AIBA Awards and in March 2019 were awarded 4 Gold Medals and took home Trophies for Best Pale Ale, Best IPA, Champion Queensland Brewery and Champion Brewery at the RQFWS Queensland Beer Awards. They followed this up again in 2021 winning Champion IPA again and Champion Large Brewery. In 2020 Black Hops was listed as Australia’s number 1 craft brewery on the Beer Cartel Craft Beer Survey.
These days Black Hops is one of Australia’s highest rated and fastest growing breweries. We distribute beer to thousands of venues across Australia and we are just getting started. With a team of over 70, we believe we have the best team in the industry. All of us have a great work ethic and are passionate about craft beer and the Black Hops brand. When we hire people we are looking for great members of our exceptional team, not just good candidates for the role.
About This Position
As a general rule at Black Hops, we don’t pay for advertising. All of our traction online and our following has grown organically from us creating meaningful content for our followers. The Marketing & Administration Supervisor inherits an engaged audience, and needs to be comfortable with the Black Hops story to create content. Down the track there may be more traditional campaigns but for the most part this role is about engaging our existing audience via social media, branded activations, cool can designs, fresh merch ideas and constant beer launches. This role also assists with overseeing the Marketing and Admin officer.
As a priority, you will need to be able to fit in with our existing team. While marketing skills are an advantage, what we are looking for is someone who can tell our story with genuity via our social media. Someone who understands Black Hops and our ethos is imperative. You will have a flexible, can-do attitude with exquisite organisation and communication skills. You must be proactive with a high level of attention to detail. Social media is 90% of all marketing these days so expertise in social media, in particular video would be very highly regarded.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
This role works with the CEO who also oversees marketing. Examples of tasks include:
- Be the first point of contact for marketing related enquiries from internal and external parties.
- Create Point of Sale advertising for the sales team such as coreflute signs, tap decals, retail bottle shop displays etc.
- Work with external designers on designing new beer cans for limited releases, staff beers, collabs and more.
- Work with our external designers and other creatives on creating marketing items such as photos and videos to help beer launches and other branding items.
- Coordinate the release of limited release beers and new additions to the core range, including organising photos for marketing, creating trade presenters, submitting barcodes, promoting on social media, ordering labels, etc
- Create social media content with a focus on telling our story, great images and video.
- Manage social media accounts including incoming messages, regular messages, encouraging engagement, building a following, etc
- Support the taprooms with branding items such as menus, ‘what’s on posters’ and social media content.
- Maintain the website (WordPress), create new pages, update information, liaise with developers for any changes.
- Potential down the track for working with marketing agencies on paid ads, strategic marketing and new branding elements.
- Overseeing merch including working with consultants to create new merch ideas and optimising the current catalog.
- Managing our email marketing efforts using ActiveCampaign
- Manage marketing components and oversee Home Guard beer club
Workplace Health & Safety
- Assist in the implementation of the company’s Workplace Health & Safety Policy and Procedures, and Security Systems and Procedures
- Follow the Workplace Health and Safety Policy and safe work practices
- Report any hazards, incidents, injuries or ‘near misses’ to your manager or HR as soon as possible after the event
- Address any hazards and incidents reported in conjunction with HR
- Ensure adherence to safe work procedures through effective consultation and documented training
- Carry out informal inspections of your work area regularly and assist with formal inspections or audits as required
- Participate in consultation and training on safety and security issues in your work area
Skills & Experience
- Previous marketing and social media experience essential
- Must be incredibly organised
- Must be friendly, have a positive attitude with great customer service
- Must be confident enough to grab people for product photos and videos
- Be able to take great photos with an iPhone is essential
- Be able to create and edit great video would be a very big advantage
- Ability to use the Adobe Suite to make small changes to branding items would be an advantage, however training can be provided.
- Ability to tell stories and create engaging content would be a big advantage.
- Ability to use modern tools such as WordPress, ActiveCampaign, Reels and similar apps, although training can be provided.
- Drivers License essential
- A love of great beer an advantage
Award and Classification
Clerks – Private Sector Award 2020
If you are interested in the role, please email your application and resume to email@example.com