About Black Hops
Black Hops Brewing started as 3 mates making beer and sharing everything they learned along the way. In 2014, Dan, Eddie and Govs made their first beer, the Eggnog Stout, after discussing the concept at the pub. That led them to opening up a brewery and taproom in Burleigh Heads in 2016 followed by a bigger production brewery and taproom in Biggera Waters in March 2019, in November 2020 they opened a third brewery and taproom in East Brisbane, and most recently have launched AWOL, a barrel-aged beer brand and taproom in Burleigh Heads.
Black Hops was awarded Australia’s Champion Small Brewer at the 2018 AIBA Awards and in March 2019 were awarded 4 Gold Medals and took home Trophies for Best Pale Ale, Best IPA, Champion Queensland Brewery and Champion Brewery at the RQFWS Queensland Beer Awards. Black Hops was also voted the #1 brewery in the country in the 2020 Beer Cartel Craft Beer Survey, alongside the prestige honour of being voted Queensland’s #1 taproom.
These days Black Hops is one of Australia’s highest rated and fastest growing breweries. We distribute beer to over 1,500 venues across Australia and we are just getting started. With 33 full time staff members (total team 59), we believe we have the best team in the industry. All of us have a great work ethic and are passionate about craft beer and the Black Hops brand. When we hire people we are looking for great members of our exceptional team, not just good candidates for the role.
About This Position
The Production Manager’s role is to create and administer the systems by which the brewery operates as laid out in a Brewery Operations Manual. This includes the Safe Work Procedures and Standard Operating Procedures used by the Site Head Brewers and Brewers at each of our 3 sites. The production manager is responsible for taking a high level of the operations of the brewery and the data coming out of the brewery to ensure compliance to the Operations Manual. The Production Manager manages the site head brewers directly and is solely responsible for ensuring the head brewers are across the Brewery Operations Manual and all associated policies and procedures, trained in it and empowered to make sure brewers are following it. The Production Manager works with the Supply Chain Manager to implement a brew and packaging schedule and brew roster around the orders placed by the Supply Chain Manager. They work with the Quality Manager to tweak day to day tasks and operations in the brewery as quality issues arise.
You will have had at least four years’ experience in a manufacturing environment, ideally brewing.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
Your main duties and responsibilities are to carry out all tasks associated with supporting the Brewmaster and operation of the brewery. These responsibilities apply to all sites, however a majority of your week is focused at BHII. These tasks include but are not limited to:
- Supervising the head brewers across all 3 breweries, with the majority of your time spent at BHII (Biggera Waters).
- Be responsible for recruiting, inducting, training and performance managing the head brewers.
- Ensure the Quality Manual is understood and implemented consistently across all sites. Work with the Brewmaster as required to ensure compliance and understanding of the plan.
- Create a Brewery Operations Manual that is comprehensive and regularly updated and followed within the brewery. The Production Manager is the owner of the policy and all procedures within including Safe Working Procedures and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all major tasks in production. The role requires writing the processes in consultation with the Brewmaster, reviewing them and ensuring they are accessible and adequately communicated to the site head brewers.
- Work with the Safety Officer to ensure safety policies and procedures and implemented into the operations of the brewery.
- Put together a brew schedule and roster for brewing and packaging to ensure orders from the Supply Chain Manager are met.
- Work with the brewmaster to ensure all products have true to brand specifications as defined in the Quality Plan. The production manager is the owner of these true to brand specifications and is responsible for making sure head brewers are fully up to date on these.
- Work with the Quality Manager and the Brewmaster on each product’s testing requirements as defined in the Quality plan. It is the Production Manager’s responsibility to view all results on a high level and ensure all tests are happening and any out of spec issues are dealt with.
- For instances where product is out of spec, work with the Site Head Brewer, the Quality Manager and the Brewmaster to make corrective actions and decisions around whether to continue with production, or place the beer on quality hold.
- Ultimate responsibility for making the decision around releasing or recalling product, with consultation with the CEO, Brewmaster, Site Head Brewer & Quality Manager.
Skills & Experience
- At least 4 years’ manufacturing industry experience
- Ability to lead a team of brewers
- Must have detailed knowledge of manufacturing processes, ideally in FMCG.
- Must have proven experience in quality assurance / quality control and problem solving skills to troubleshoot any beer related issues
- Must have the ability to recognise beer fault causes and develop/implement corrective actions
- Experience using Beer30 highly regarded
- Senior First Aid Certificate highly desired
Award and Classification
This is a contract position, however the relevant award is the Food, Beverage and Tobacco Manufacturing Award 2020.
If you are interested in the role, please email your application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any general questions about working for Black Hops, feel free to call us on (07) 5699 0250 or email us at email@example.com