About Black Hops
Black Hops Brewing started as 3 mates making beer and sharing everything along the way. In 2014, Dan, Eddie and Govs made their first beer, the Eggnog Stout, after discussing the concept at the pub. That led them to opening up a brewery and taproom in Burleigh Heads in 2016 and in March 2019 they opened a bigger production brewery and taproom in Biggera Waters.
Black Hops was awarded Australia’s Champion Small Brewer at the 2018 AIBA Awards and in March 2019 were awarded 4 Gold Medals and took home Trophies for Best Pale Ale, Best IPA, Champion Queensland Brewery and Champion Brewery at the RQFWS Queensland Beer Awards. They followed this up again in 2021 winning Champion IPA again and Champion Large Brewery. In 2020 Black Hops was listed as Australia’s number 1 craft brewery on the Beer Cartel Craft Beer Survey.
These days Black Hops is one of Australia’s highest rated and fastest growing breweries. We distribute beer to thousands of venues across Australia and we are just getting started. With a team of over 70, we believe we have the best team in the industry. All of us have a great work ethic and are passionate about craft beer and the Black Hops brand. When we hire people we are looking for great members of our exceptional team, not just good candidates for the role.
About This Position
This is a casual position to support demand of our on site Quality/Laboratory team at our Biggera Waters Production Facility. This role is suitable for somebody who is currently studying Food Sciences and seeking a role to supplement their studies while learning about the craft beer industry.
Our QC Lab Technician is responsible for carrying routine testing of food ingredients, packaging and beer products to ensure that safety, quality, health and legal standards are met. Perform physical, chemical and microbiological tests, and report on content, nutritional value, flavour, aroma and appearance.
A passion for the craft beer industry is a must and the desire to learn more about the industry and our brand is essential. Exceptional customer service is essential, and so is a positive, friendly attitude.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Monitor food production processes
- Carry out routine testing of food ingredients, packaging and food products to ensure that safety, quality, health and legal standards are met
- Perform physical, chemical and microbiological tests, and report on content, nutritional value, flavour, aroma and appearance
- Record test results and prepare graphs and reports
- Assist food technologists with research and development, production technology and quality control
- Mix, blend or cultivate ingredients to make reagents (agents to be used in chemical testing) or to manufacture food or beverage products
- Develop, operate, maintain equipment for use in food production, research and testing
- Inspect, analyse and recommend ways of improving quality and efficiency of production
- Check and maintain cleanliness and sanitation of laboratory equipment
- Measure, test or weigh bottles, cans or other containers to ensure they meet specifications.
Skills & Experience
Your attitude and work ethic will be your best asset in this role, however owning any of these is an advantage:
- Aptitude for mathematics and science
- Problem-solving skills
- Enjoy scientific activities
- Good observation skills
- Show initiative
- Able to work as part of a team
- Good organisation skills
- Strong attention to detail
Workplace Health & Safety
- Follow the Workplace Health and Safety Policy and safe work practices.
- Report any hazards, incidents, injuries or ‘near misses’ to your manager or HR and enter into iauditor report as soon as possible after the event
as possible after the event.
- Participate in consultation and training on safety and security issues in your work area.
Award and Classification
Food, Beverand and Tobacco Manufacturing Award 2020 – Level 4 .
If you are interested in the role, please email your application and resume to email@example.com