About Black Hops
Black Hops Brewing started as 3 mates making beer and sharing everything along the way. In 2014, Dan, Eddie and Govs made their first beer, the Eggnog Stout, after discussing the concept at the pub. That led them to opening up a brewery and taproom in Burleigh Heads in 2016 and in March 2019 they opened a bigger production brewery and taproom in Biggera Waters.
Black Hops was awarded Australia’s Champion Small Brewer at the 2018 AIBA Awards and in March 2019 were awarded 4 Gold Medals and took home Trophies for Best Pale Ale, Best IPA, Champion Queensland Brewery and Champion Brewery at the RQFWS Queensland Beer Awards. They followed this up again in 2021 winning Champion IPA again and Champion Large Brewery. In 2020 Black Hops was listed as Australia’s number 1 craft brewery on the Beer Cartel Craft Beer Survey.
These days Black Hops is one of Australia’s highest rated and fastest growing breweries. We distribute beer to thousands of venues across Australia and we are just getting started. With a team of over 70, we believe we have the best team in the industry. All of us have a great work ethic and are passionate about craft beer and the Black Hops brand. When we hire people we are looking for great members of our exceptional team, not just good candidates for the role.
About This Position
This position is in charge of all aspects of running the Taproom. Our Taprooms are where most people are trying our product for the first time, and we aim to provide a space where people receive world class service while drinking our beers. This role is responsible for ensuring all taproom staff are equipped to provide exceptional service and to run the day to day operations of the venue.
You will be a friendly and approachable person with the ability to lead a team. You will be seen as a face of the brand so you must be well presented, have a good understanding of the Black Hops story and be passionate about good beer.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
Venue supervision responsibilities include:
- Training up bar staff to operate the taproom without supervision
- Passing on the Black Hops story and culture to new staff
- Completion of weekly taproom tasks such as cold room stacking, printing menus, cleaning beer lines etc.
- Management of onsite Taproom events, including organisation, preparation and execution of the day
- Ensuring compliance with food safety regulations and liquor licensing regulations
- Manage a small budget to keep the bar stocked and functioning optimally
- Ensuring a clean, tidy and healthy work area
- Making sure the Black Hops Taproom experience is memorable
- Work with the sales team to provide an especially good experience to existing and potential wholesale customers
- Weekly banking.
Bar work responsibilities including:
- Serving customers with drinks
- Cleaning beer lines
- Collecting payment and operating the till
- Explaining the brewing process and taste of the beer through smaller tours
- Make customers feel at home and appreciated
- Telling and selling the Black Hops story
- Collecting and cleaning glasses
Workplace Health & Safety
- Assist in the implementation of the company’s Workplace Health & Safety Policy and Procedures, and Security Systems and Procedures
- Follow the Workplace Health and Safety Policy and safe work practices
- Report any hazards, incidents, injuries or ‘near misses’ to your manager or HR as soon as possible after the event
- Address any hazards and incidents reported in conjunction with HR
- Ensure adherence to safe work procedures through effective consultation and documented training
- Carry out informal inspections of your work area regularly and assist with formal inspections or audits as required
- Participate in consultation and training on safety and security issues in your work area
Skills & Experience
- Venue / bar management experience
- Friendly positive attitude
- Knowledge of craft beer and Black Hops Beers
- Ability to pour beer
- Ability to recruit and manage a team of the best beertenders
- Ability to operate both Kounta and Square POS Software
- Ability to lead and supervise others
Award and Classification
This position is under the Hospitality Industry (General) Award 2020, but is paid above award rates.
If you are interested in the role, please email your application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org