Started by 3 mates and becoming one of Australia’s fastest growing and highest rated beer brands
At Black Hops, we seriously love good beer! We love making it, we love packaging it, and we especially love drinking it. But most of all, we love that it brings together a community of beer-loving friends and we get to share our learnings along the way.
Black Hops Brewing started as 3 mates making beer and sharing everything they learned along the way. What started out as an idea over a beer at the pub back in 2014, has become one of Australia’s fastest growing and highest rated breweries.
We have a team of 24 full time staff (total team 50+), and we believe we have the best team in the industry, all of us have a great work ethic and are passionate about craft beer and the Black Hops brand. Read on to find out what we’re looking for in our Cellar Person.
Where are we headed?
We distribute beer to well over 1,500 venues across the country and are not slowing down. We are very fortunate to be in a thriving industry, which is one of the perks of joining our team.
The craft beer industry is a fun one to work in, with regular events and incredible benefits. Plus the industry is booming in Australia!
Black Hops II Production Brewery
We have three breweries in Queensland (one in Burleigh Heads, Biggera Waters, and East Brisbane), and we’re looking for an experienced Cellar Person to work from our largest site, BHII in Biggera Waters.
BHII is home to two brewhouses, our main brew kit is 65hl and our pilot kit is 8hl. We have 12x 180hl fermenters, 4x 100hl fermenters and 5x 7hl fermenters. In our bigger tanks we brew most of our core range beers plus our monthly limited release, but we also have a lot of fun brewing on our pilot kit to create our Recon Series beers.
We have brewed around 200 different beers during the life of Black Hops, and half of those have been in the last year and a half. So while we are consistently brewing our core range, we also like to experiment and have fun with different styles of beer, some of which make it to the big tanks!
We currently have a 7 day production schedule at BHII and our tanks are being filled as soon as they’re empty.
Joining the production team of one of Australia’s fastest growing beer brands
We are looking for a Cellar Person to join our team based out of Black Hops II, Biggera Waters, and who fits in well with our existing team. The role of Cellar Person is varied across the brewery, and as such, you should have a ready and willing attitude to perform all tasks to assist in the efficiency of the brewery. This role requires a significant amount of manual handling such as bending, pushing, lifting, and you must be able to complete these in a safe manner.
At Black Hops, the Cellar Person is responsible for the duties involved with the fermentation cellar and all beer released to packaging. The quality and efficiency of our beer production can be greatly affected by our cellar processes. Quality Control is the Cellar Person’s main focus to ensure the integrity and the high standard of our beers.
What will you get up to in this exciting role?
You will be required to safely carry out all tasks associated with cellaring, cleaning and operation of the brewery. Here are some of the tasks expected of you:
- Work closely with the Head Brewer and Production & Distribution Manager to understand the tasks required for completion
- Cleaning and sanitising fermentation and conditioning tanks
- Transfer beers that are ready to be transferred according to the schedule
- Monitor the fermentation of beer
- Carbonating beer to the correct level
- Cleaning floors, tanks, filtration equipment, and keeping the general cellar area clean
- Check dissolved oxygen levels
- Coordinate with the packaging crew and release beer to packaging when ready
- Dry hopping beers according to the recipe and schedule
- Filtration of beer (inc Centrifuge operation and CIP)
- Clean transfer lines
- Complete fermentation checks
- Pull yeast and harvest when necessary
- Accurately maintain production logs
- Perform and record quality checks
The skills and experience you bring to the table will be your best asset. Here are some of the particulars we are looking for:
- Previous cellar experience essential
- Be resilient and flexible to meet deadlines
- Ability to follow instructions and procedures
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Have exceptional attention to detail
- Knowledge of craft beer and Black Hops Beers
Award and Classification
Covered under the Food, Beverage and and Tobacco Manufacturing Award, however this position is a contract position and paid above award rates.
If you want to join the Black Hops team, shoot through your resume and cover letter and tell us why you are the right fit for this role. Applications can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org