Started by 3 mates and becoming one of Australia’s fastest growing and highest rated beer brands
At Black Hops, we seriously love good beer! We love making it, we love packaging it, and we especially love drinking it. But most of all, we love that it brings together a community of beer-loving friends and we get to share our learnings along the way.
Black Hops Brewing started as 3 mates making beer and sharing everything they learned along the way. What started out as an idea over a beer at the pub back in 2014, has become one of Australia’s fastest growing and highest rated breweries.
We believe we have the best team in the industry, all of us have a great work ethic and are passionate about craft beer and the Black Hops brand. Read on to find out what we’re looking for in our Manager – Black Hops Taprooms.
Where are we headed?
Beyond our taprooms, we distribute beer to well over 1,500 venues across the country and are not slowing down. We are very fortunate to be in a thriving industry, which is one of the perks of joining our team.
The craft beer industry is a fun one to work in, with regular events and incredible benefits. Plus the industry is booming in Australia!
HQ, Burleigh Heads
Our original brewery and taproom space in Burleigh has been open for 4 years. HQ (short for Head Quarters) is an intimate drinking space where our customers come to enjoy what’s on offer from our 16 taps.
HQ is where the Black Hops story really began, with locals in the area getting behind us and supporting us in the early days, and continuing on to be regulars to this day. Currently the maximum capacity at HQ is 30 people.
Black Hops II (BHII), Biggera Waters
When we maxed production capacity at HQ, we looked for an additional location and found our second home on the northern end of the Gold Coast, about half an hour away from HQ. BHII is a much larger venue, currently with a maximum capacity of around 75. Also pouring 16 taps, and very popular with both locals and people travelling here to see our full scale production brewery. Monthly brewery tours are also ran from this location.
Black Hops Brisbane, East Brisbane
Freshly opened a couple weeks ago, we are very proud to now have a home base in Brisbane, in the former Semi-Pro Brewing site. We are still getting to know our locals in Brisbane, but the feedback so far really has been incredible. We are stoked to have 16 taps of Black Hops pouring in East Brisbane!
AWOL, Coming Soon to Burleigh Heads
A brand new beer brand and fourth taproom is on it’s way to Burleigh Heads. Looking to open in January 2021, AWOL Beer is a barrel-aged sour beer brand, made by Black Hops, which will have it’s own intimate tasting room (separate to HQ) in Burleigh Heads.
Lead the way from the heart and soul of Black Hops (our Taprooms)
Our taprooms are the heart and soul of our business and we are looking for someone who can embrace the Black Hops ethos and manage all aspects of running our intimate Black Hops Taprooms.
In the recent Beer Cartel survey, Black Hops Brewery was voted the #1 taproom in Queensland, alongside being voted the #1 brewery in the country. We pride ourselves on providing the ‘Black Hops Experience’ to everyone who comes into our taprooms, and the role of Black Hops Taprooms Manager is tasked with executing this vision by cultivating an incredible culture and providing support to our taproom dream team.
We have three breweries and taprooms in Queensland (with a 4th on the way), one in Burleigh Heads, one in Biggera Waters, and a recently opened venue in East Brisbane. Our Black Hops Taprooms Manager is responsible for overseeing all three taproom locations with a specific focus on Brisbane to begin with. With support from our Operations Manager, this is an absolute dream role for someone who is ready to take their hospitality career to the next level.
Our team and culture at Black Hops is very important to us, so first and foremost, you will need to work well with our existing team. Provided you’re a great cultural fit with Black Hops, you will need to have the ability to prioritise tasks and manage having multiple things on the go at once. You will need to have a strong backbone and be comfortable managing a large team of staff. A wholesome passion and solid knowledge of craft beer is essential, you must be able to articulate flavour profiles and distinguish between different styles of beer.
What will you get up to in this exciting role?
You will inherit a variety of responsibilities as the Manager of Black Hops Taprooms, and we are looking for someone who can handle several things at once with flair. Here are some of the tasks expected of you:
- Hiring, rostering and management of all taproom staff
- Training up bar staff to operate the taproom without supervision
- Passing on the Black Hops story and culture to new staff
- Completion or delegation of weekly taproom tasks such as cold room stacking, printing menus, cleaning beer lines etc.
- Management of onsite taproom events
- Ensuring compliance with food safety regulations and liquor licensing regulations
- Manage a small budget to keep the bar stocked and functioning optimally
- Ensuring a clean, tidy and healthy work area
- Making sure the Black Hops Taproom Experience is memorable for our customers
- Work with the sales team to provide an especially good experience to existing and potential wholesale customers
- Banking duties
- Attend weekly meetings with the Operations Manager
- Work on additional projects as required by management
- Set a stellar example for staff culture and behaviour
- Posting on and managing social media accounts
- Serving customers with drinks
- Cleaning beer lines
- Collecting payment and operating the till
- Explaining the brewing process and taste of the beer through smaller tours
- Make customers feel at home and appreciated
- Telling and selling the Black Hops story
- Collecting and cleaning glasses
- Ensuring venue presentation is at a high standard at all times
The skills and experience you bring to the table will be your best asset. What we are looking for is someone who goes above and beyond for customers and prioritises creating a thriving work culture. Here are some of the particulars we are looking for:
- Venue / bar management experience essential
- Be an energetic leader
- Have a friendly positive attitude
- Ability to own situations and make decisions as necessary
- Be an enthusiastic beer lover with good knowledge of craft beer and Black Hops Beers
- Ability to pour the perfect beer
- Ability to recruit and manage a team of the best beertenders
- Ability to operate both Kounta and Square POS Software
- Experience in managing and coaching teams
- RSA essential, RMLV desired
Award and Classification
Covered under the Hospitality Industry 2020 Award, however this position is a contract position and paid above award rates.
If you want to join the Black Hops team, shoot through your resume and cover letter and tell us why you are the right fit for this role. Applications can be sent to email@example.com